Friday, October 26, 2012

Halloween Around the House

*Can you believe this is  my fourth post in two days?  Who am I?!!

Thought I would just show some Halloween love I've got going on around the house.  I've had this up since the beginning of October, and I am actually excited to switch things up again so it's just plain fall decor.  You'll probably see a post with that too.  :)

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional photographer.  I do not have an editing program nor do I know how to use the generic one on iPhoto.  These are straight out of the camera.

First up--a little pumpkin candy bowl and a BOO sign I got from Marshalls for $7.


I know that there are DIY posts about making this exact thing, but I didn't have the time or supplies.  I would probably spend more trying to make it...  Oh!  And that Scentsy candle warmer?  It's got 'Cinnamon Bear' melting away in it.  Nothing says holidays like the smell of cinnamon, if I do say so myself!  *Side note:  That's a surfboard behind our side table.  One of 4 inside our house.  My husband has 19.  He's obsessed.  They are going to storage when we redecorate.  End side note.*


The top of our entertainment center we recently bought from IKEA.  We don't have a fireplace, so this is as close to a mantel as we are going to get.  I made that little Halloween bunting last year.  Got that idea here.



Top shelf.  Framed pumpkin button art (inspiration) I also made last year, the spray painted owl from this post, and a brass apple bell from the thrift store ($4).



Fake pumpkin atop some stacked books with scary titles (from antique store $2 a pop), and an apothecary jar (from Goodwill $2) filled with candy corn.



Here's a close up of the scary titles.  Murder in the Dentist Chair, Tongues of Flame, and The Day the Century Ended  muahahahaha




Third shelf.  Black glittery pumpkin with changing color LED light inside (Walmart $2.50) and Spooky sign from Target One Spot ($2.50).  This is the shelf I like the least.  I couldn't make it too crazy, because it's within Brody's reach.  He hardly messes with it though, since his favorite thing, books, are stored right below it.

Now let's get a close up of the top decor.



These are some random things that I had in my Fall box.  I bought some Indian corn this year ($1 each) and didn't know how to display it, so I just threw them in a vase.  meh...



Also things I have had for a few years.  Brian even had this spooky candle tree in his apartment in college!  Over 6 years ago!


Then, on this side, I have a crow from the dollar store ($1, duh), the acorn vase I made here, and a lantern from Walmart for about $5.  I liked the more square lanterns, but Brian really liked this kind and said we could actually use it camping, so ....  whatever... :)

That's it for the entertainment center.  On to.....


The windows!  Just a little bunting I made last year with scrapbook paper and twine.  super easy.

I also have this little sign on the towel closet door.  I change it out for the seasons/holidays.


From Walmart for a couple bucks.  See that growth chart?  So cute! Brody got it for Christmas last year from my parents.


Next, we have a new piece of furniture that Brian actually made and I stained.  I wanted something skinny to put in this hallway.  Love it and it cost very little. :)





Here's a close up.  Gravestones and crow-dollar store.  Then, I picked up some fake pumpkins in different sizes from Michael's, covered the stems, and painted them with metallic silver spray paint.  

And I also got the glittery pumpkins from Michael's in a pack for $2.  

Then I bought a variety of candlesticks from Goodwill, the antique store, or Ikea and spray painted them all the metallic silver to look the same.  I was thinking of adding some black candlesticks, but maybe I'll wait until next year.  I bought the skull from The Dollar General for a couple bucks.  He is actually made out of red clay (like a flower pot) and had gold glitter on him.  I didn't like, so what did I do?  All together now:  I spray painted it!!

And the chalkboard was actually a picture frame (from Goodwill) that I painted the glass with chalkboard paint and the border with spray paint.  I plan on keeping it here and changing out the quotes.

In my kitchen, I have very minimal decorations.  I use my countertops a lot and I didn't want things crowding them.  So...



We have a ceramic weaved bowl (from Target clearance $4) with cinnamon scented pinecones (yum) and a little apple pie candle for ambience.  :)


This is not necessarily 'Halloweenie', but I just thought I'd throw this picture in there.  Love my milk glass vases, and planters and pitchers.  They have the same craspedia flowers I talked about in my bathroom update post.  I'll probably move some of this onto the mantel when Halloween is over. 

*I should have posted pictures of my Halloween kitchen towels, but I forgot!  Just pretend...

And now let's go outside.




Here's the wreath I made for our front door.  Super easy.  Grapevine wreath, fake flowers, letter from Michael's modge podged with fabric.  The flowers are just stuck in there so I can switch them out with the holidays.  


Here's my front porch view.  The wreath, the mum project I talked about here, my jack-o-lantern candle buckets from Kohl's 2 years ago on clearance after the holiday, my real pumpkins on the right (Brian, Jessica, Brody), and a fake one on the left.  I think I may spray paint and carve a big "S" in the fake one and bring it inside for my fall mantel....hmmm... (here's where I got that idea from)


So...that's it!  Halloween around the house!


And look at this goober!  He was actually not very happy at this moment because he was STUCK!  But I thought it was hilarious!  And look at those cute monster baby legs and fluffy baby butt!

...and THAT MESS!!







2 comments:

  1. LOVE your halloween decor!! Looks great! As much as I love halloween I should have some out, instead I will just go watch Hocus Pocus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We used to always decorate outside too, but haven't in the past couple years. :( But, I would totally watch Hocus Pocus instead! Just watched it last night!! LOVE that movie!

      Delete