Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Coupons!

Okay, so I just started using coupons.  As in, my first time really trying was this weekend.  I didn't really document that and I already put away all of my groceries from that trip, but I went back to the websites I get my information from and decided to try again for a little bit better deals.  I feel like I did pretty well but of course I wish it were better!  I am still learning!  We don't get the Sunday paper so I went to a news stand and got a couple. I tried to organize them and really look over the Internet sites to make sure I could get things that I really will use even if I am just stocking up.  Here's how it panned out:
CVS
My first suggestion would be to get a Care Card.  It's free and you get lots of rewards by using it.  Why didn't I do this sooner!!!!???
Anyway-I purchased 2 All laundry detergents, 5 Ajax dishwashing soaps, 2 Colgate toothpastes, 2 containers of Lysol wipes, 2 Lysol disinfectant sprays, 1 box of Pop Tarts, and 2 boxes Rice Krispie treats.
All of these items were already on sale and I used coupons for the majority of them (not the food or Ajax).  My total came out to be $33.85 after taxes.  The cool thing was that all of these items qualified me for a $10 gift card of my choice if I spent $30.  So I chose a $10 Shell gas card.  So really, these items cost me $20.  According to my receipt, I saved a grand total of $44.01 with sale items ($37.01) and $7 worth of coupons included.  I feel pretty good about that trip! :)  I saved more than I spent!
Here's a pic of my loot:
Should have totaled $77.86 but ended up being $33.85 plus $10 gas card.

HARRIS TEETER
Next, I went to HT where they were doubling coupons this week only.  I had already used some coupons in my previous grocery trip, but I decided to go back and get a few things I had forgotten.  I purchased 3 containers of French's Fried Onions, 5 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup, and 6 cans of Pedigree wet dog food.  The dog food was not on sale but I had a coupon for everything I purchased.  So, the results: My total was $13.40.  According to my receipt, I saved a grand total of $15.90 with sale items ($4.55) and $11.35 worth of coupons.  Once again, I saved more than I spent!
Here's a pic:

Should have totaled $29.30 but ended up spending $13.40.
I bought 6 cans of dog food. I think one got left in the car....

Here are some of the sites that I use when couponing.  These are either places to print off coupons or a blog that gives daily updates on drugstore/grocery sales and the combinations of coupons that will help you get the most bang for your buck!  It also helps to get your Sunday paper with loads of coupons available there!

savingfreak.com
couponmom.com
coupons.com
smartsource.com
And my friend in Indianapolis, Indiana just recently started a couponing blog that has really good money saving deals and frequent updates.  Here it is: themodelcouponer.com  Definitely check her out if you live in the area or frequent the stores she posts about.

No comments:

Post a Comment